tiistai 10. joulukuuta 2019

Emotions we feel but can't explain.


Silience

n. the kind of unnoticed excellence that carries on around you every day, unremarkably — the hidden talents of friends and coworkers, the fleeting solos of subway buskers and the unseen portfolios of aspiring artists.

My brother took this photo on a beautiful fall evening. He has so much talent, yet he himself doesn't see it. I really wish he could. And yes, it is #nofilter.


Nighthawk

n. a recurring thought that only seems to strike you late at night.

By the more accurate definition, nighthawk is related to negative feelings and things. Nighthawk is like the literal hawk: hovering above you slowly but firmly. If you are thinking about a problem at work or something embarrassing that happened to you years ago, that is called a nighthawk.


Chrysalism

n. the amniotic tranquility of being indoors during a thunderstorm.

When I was little, I was afraid of thunderstorms. Even the sounds of thunder had me looking for the nearest blanket or bed to hide under. Nowadays I love them. I'm so bummed whenever my mom tells me they are having a thunderstorm and we are not even though we live 40 km from where they live. So I rarely get to feel chrysalism. Such boring.


Kenopsia

n. the eerie, forlorn atmosphere of a place that is usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet.

Tampere 2.22 am. It's been a long time since I've seen the city this quiet.


Monachopsis

n. the subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place.

Like that flying maple leaf, I sometimes feel that I'm out of place. Even more so in this time of year.


Rubatosis

n. the unsettling awareness of your own heartbeat.


Jouska

n. a hypothetical conversation that you compulsively play out in your head.


Anecdoche

n. a conversation in which everyone is talking, but nobody is listening.


Exulansis

n. the tendency to give up trying to talk about an experience because people are unable to relate to it - whether through envy or pity or simple foreignness.


Rückkehrunruhe

n. the feeling of returning home after an immersive trip only to find it fading rapidly from your awareness.

While I'm always happy to be home after a trip, the feeling of seeing our front yard, stepping out of the car to unpack the trunk and opening the front door is quite eerie and fuzzy in a very subtle way.


Ambedo

n. a kind of melancholic trance in which you become completely absorbed in vivid sensory details.


Onism

n. the frustration of being stuck in just one body that inhabits only one place at a time.


Altschmerz

n. weariness with the same old issues that you've always had – the same boring flaws and anxieties that you've been gnawing on for years.


Nodus Tollens

n. the realization that the plot of your life doesn't make sense to you anymore.


Heartworm

n. a relationship or friendship that you can't get out of your head, which you thought had faded long ago but is still somehow alive and unfinished.

If this ain't me...


Sonder

n. the realization that each passerby has a life as vivid and complex as your own - populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries and inherited craziness.


Occhiolism

n. the awareness of the smallness of your perspective.


Anemoia

n. nostalgia for a time you've never known.


Ellipsism

n. a sadness that you'll never be able to know how history will turn out.


Énouement

n. the bittersweetness of having arrived in the future, seeing how things turn out, but not being able to tell your past self.

As an INFJ I find this particularly upsetting or anticlimactic, since I'm quite skilled at seeing patterns and foretelling how things might unravel. It doesn't help much when things turn for the worse and all I can say is "... well I told you so".


Liberosis

n. the desire to care less about things.

I think people should care about some things. If we wouldn't care about anything, the whole world would be in an inevitable chaos. What I'm talking about here is caring less about what others think of me as a person and how to do things as well as my fear of failure. It stops me from doing so much. I have also been told that I'm too demanding towards myself and that everything doesn't need to be perfect. I quite agree and I think I have improved in that area, but I still need to remind myself from time to time that nobody's perfect. And we can't demand perfection from imperfect people.

Oh, perfectionism. My greatest blessing and my biggest curse.


Kairosclerosis

n. the moment you realize that you’re currently happy — consciously trying to savor the feeling — which prompts your intellect to identify it, pick it apart and put it in context, where it will slowly dissolve until it’s little more than an aftertaste.

Yes. I sure do like to pick things apart in my mind. But I've come to realize that as of late I have felt kairosclerosis quite a few times. Even though I am once again suffering from the good ol' seasonal affective disorder, I am feeling content about my life when I really think about it.


Vemödalen

n. the frustration of photographing something amazing when thousands of identical photos already exist.

FEELING THIS. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And I am willing to bet you have too.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti